NYPD, Please State Your Emergency

September 12, 2013

Before I get all sentimental, I have to chat about my interesting, thrilling night last night. After I finished my blog post, Jackie came home and the three of us went upstairs to wind down and prepare for the next day. While I’m finishing brushing my teeth, the doorbell rings, and we decide to all go down to see who it is. Jackie looked through the peephole but didn’t see anyone. Well, thanks to miscommunication, I opened the door, thinking Grace said it was Cynthia, and was staring right into the eyes of a highly intoxicated kid that was probably about our age (maybe a little older).

For a second, I was really confused, but then quickly went to shut the door while the kid stuck his hand out and was telling me to “wait.” Nope. I slammed and locked the door… Grace, Jackie, and I left the doorway, only to have the kid hold our doorbell down for a solid three minutes straight. While the guy didn’t seem particularly threatening, he would not leave the stoop or stop ringing the doorbell, and occasionally would try to open the door. Grace called Cynthia who advised us to call 9-11 since no one was around to help.

Long story short, the three of us hung out of the windows upstairs to watch the kid until the police arrived. After about 30 minutes, an ambulance came to bring him back to the hospital. Apparently he had been discharged earlier that day and was on many different medications for brain and personality issues. Not to state the obvious, but alcohol and medication do not mix…

Anyway, today was my day off, and I didn’t originally have anything planned aside from running to the food store. After browsing some social media sites, I realized I needed to go downtown and visit the 9/11 memorial to pay my respects. Despite the 92 degree weather and air quality warning, I marched down to the bus stop and figured out what trains to take to the memorial. Aside from an increase in the amount of police officers on the road, the area surrounding the One World Trade Center wasn’t extra crowded.

I walked down the street and into a memorial shop and really wasn’t prepared for the amount of emotion packed into the shop. Along the wall was a picture timeline of 9/11/2001, beginning when the planes took off at the airport. There was also a video playing where people who lost their loved ones that day were talking about living their lives without them. I stood there with my American flag scarf held close to my face, and tried everything I could not to cry. The tribute was incredible. In every crowd of people, at least one person was holding an American flag or sporting something in red, white, and blue.

I treated myself to an ice cream afterwards (I figured I deserved it) and then headed back to the Bronx. I just got back from class, which actually flew by, and am sweating from the heat in the living room. I can’t believe how hot it got today! It’s back to work tomorrow for me…

One World Trade Center

Picture Timeline
Art Piece Made From WTC Steel

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *